Who doesn’t love quotes? We love them so much that John Bartlett—in 1855—published Bartlett’s Familiar Quotations—an immense collection of more than 8,000 quotes—currently on its 18th edition. Since then, numerous quotation books have been published, including The Oxford Dictionary of Quotations (1941) and The Yale Book of Quotations (2006) to name a couple.
Anyway, we’re talking about poker here, and there are hundreds of poker quotes out there. From funny to inspirational to matter-of-fact and beyond, here are my ten favorites.
10. “A Smith & Wesson beats four aces.” ~ American proverb
9. “There is more to poker than life.” ~ Tom McEvoy
8. “It’s not whether you won or lost but how many bad beat stories you were able to tell.” ~ Grantland Rice
7. “Show me a good loser and I’ll show you a loser.” ~ Stu Ungar
6. “I don’t play any two suited cards. I play any two non-suited cards. That way I’m drawing at two different flushes.” ~ Amarillo Slim
5. “Life is not always a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes playing a poor hand well.” ~ Jack London
4. “Trust everyone, but always cut the cards.” ~ Benny Binion
3. “Just play every hand. You can’t miss them all.” ~ Sammy Farha
2. “If there weren’t luck involved, I would win every time.” ~ Phil Hellmuth
1. “Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.” ~ Steven Wright
Do you have a favorite poker quote? Please comment below.